National Maritime Day:
In recognizance of the launch of the maritime industry, we celebrate National Maritime Day on the 22nd of May every year.
|2023||22nd May||Monday||United States|
|2024||22nd May||Wednesday||United States|
|2025||22nd May||Thursday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on May 22nd:
Why National Maritime Day?
The mere mention of the word “maritime” is enough to spark excitement in our hearts. The country of America has a long history tracing back to the many voyagers who took treacherous sea journeys to find this land. The country has been defended at sea, by the marine forces, and this day is to identify ourselves as a nation, who have stood through tough times.
The Merchant marine is celebrated and honored on this day, who during the days of peace, make use of the vessels to transport passengers and cargo within and outside the country. The team is also known for assisting in many civilian projects and for their humanitarian efforts to society. The merchant marine is also an integral part of the department of defense, working seamlessly during the war times, delivering supplies and personnel to the many departments of the military. The smooth functioning of the military can be attributed to the contribution from Merchant Marines. Hence we celebrate this day honoring their efforts and contribution to keep our country safe.
How can we celebrate Maritime Day?
It is a day to honor our merchant marines but it is also a day to learn more about the history of the maritime industry. Here are some tips on how you can make the day more fruitful for you and your family.
- You can adopt a ship on this day. It might sound very new and yet exciting. You might wonder if it is possible. It is possible by getting in touch with the US Propeller club. Many K-12 teachers in the country contact the club to adopt a ship for the class. Once adopted, the entire class can get in touch with the crew of the ship all through the year. The students get the opportunity to explore a variety of topics regarding merchant marines like their life on a ship, foreign trade, domestic trade, geography, science, math, history, etc.
- There is a commemorative event held on this day in the port cities and if you happen to be in a locality then you can consider visiting this event on this day. You can make it a picnic day out near the sea, enjoying the breeze while learning about the contribution of merchant marines to the country.
- The Merchant Marine museum of the country is in Kings Point, New York. You can visit this museum if possible on this day to know more about the seafarers, the history of the program, the academy for Merchant Marines, etc.
Remember to share how you spent your day with #NationalMaritimeDay on social media to bring awareness and attention to this day.
Interesting facts about Maritime Day:
The day is a celebration of the entire maritime industry along with the domestic commerce/trade that happens on the water. It is also a day to honor the men and women who serve on the Merchant Marine ships, keeping the country safe and protected, both during times of war and peace.
- The day was initiated in the year 1933 on the 22nd of May, by Congress. However, the first time celebration happened in the year 1964 on the 5th of April.
- On this day, there are a lot of events conducted by the Maritime Administration to bring awareness among the masses about this day and the importance of the maritime industry. A lot of other entities work alongside Maritime administration on this day to make it happen.
- There is a theme selected every year for the celebration of this day and it varies in line with the objectives of the maritime industry. The events are organized in line with the general theme.
- Despite the multiple modes of transportation available, even today 90% of the goods are transported over the sea. We can therefore credit maritime as the industry driving our economies.
- When it comes to cost, transportation on a ship will cost you much lesser than other means of transportation.
- There are container ships that cost nearly $200million in construction. On the other hand, luxury ships can cost as much as $1.4billion to build. And yet ocean freight is the cheapest among other options.
- In a single year, a container ship travels as much distance as one would cover traveling 75% of the distance to the moon from earth and coming back.
With the approval from Congress, May 22nd was designated as National Maritime Day in the year 1933. It was launched to celebrate the successful voyage of the first transoceanic journey from the US, which happened on the same day in the year 1819. It was the steamship by the name “The Savannah” that set out on sail from Savannah in Georgia to the port in England. The day is a commemoration of this event.