National May Ray Day:
If your name is Ray or you know anyone by this name, then it is the celebration of this name on the 19th of May every year.
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on May 19th:
Why National May Ray Day?
While the day originated as a celebration of the name Ray, the day is also about the sun rays lying in wait for you during this month. There are many things associated with the day and the most important is that it falls at the end of the spring season, as we step into the summer. Even in ancient times, May was a month that was given a lot of significance across cultures. It is marked as the beginning of reaping and sowing in the agrarian communities in most of the countries. With a lot of significance on this month and of course the honor being showered upon the name Ray, there is a need to celebrate the National May Ray Day. It is a day to enjoy the sunshine and of course enjoy being called Ray if that is your name.
How can we observe National May Ray Day:
National May Ray Day is that time of the year when everything is blooming everywhere. You can see flowers all around you and there is more than one reason to celebrate the day. And here are some ways that you can use to make this a memorable day.
- You don’t have to be named Ray, to celebrate this day. You can just go for a walk and soak up the shining sun, give yourself the much-needed Vitamin D. if you like being in the sun for long, then you can make a picnic out of it with your friends and family.
- May is considered to be the best month for sowing in many cultures and countries. If you love gardening, then this is the time to put on your gardening gloves. You can plant some seeds and watch them grow over the months, as you nurture them with love and there is the lovely sun to help them along.
- It is the time you can let go of the sweaters and get out your swimsuits to soak in the sun and that is what you can do on this day.
- If you love the music, then you might want to check out Ray Charles’ tunes or delve into the “Fahrenheit 451” written by Ray Bradbury. You can also check out other interesting personalities whose name is Ray.
Remember to include your pictures and share your thoughts and views about the day online with the hashtag #NationalMayRayDay.
Interesting facts about National May Ray Day:
There might be many reasons why the day is celebrated and why the month is special. Here are some interesting facts about May and ray.
- The name of the month was given as an honor to the Greek Goddess of Fertility, Maia.
- May is the only month that begins and ends on the same day of the week.
- There was a time when May was considered an unlucky month to get married.
- The birthstone for May was Emerald which represents success and love.
- The entire month is celebrated as National Smile Month in the UK.
- 1st of May is celebrated as international labor day and it is also the day when the Empire State Building was opened.
- May is not just the name of the month but it is also used for naming girls by some parents.
- At about 93 million miles away from our planet, the sun is the closest star to Earth.
- While sun rays are good for our health, there are other rays which can be quite dangerous to your health. For instance, gamma rays can be quite dangerous
- While you want to soak up the sun, you need to also bear in mind that the sun rays have harmful ultraviolet rays as well. These can damage the skin’s elasticity, causing it to age faster and show wrinkles.
- Rays are also fishes with more than 24 families of Rays and nearly 600 species of them present across the world.
History of National May Ray Day:
The National May Ray Day was started by Richard Ankli, a comedian who wanted to honor his brother, whose name was Ray. His brother was born on the 19th of May. Later in the year 1977, the day was commemorated into a holiday by the Broadway Residence.