National Shoe the World Day
Celebrated on 15th March, National Shoe the World Day is celebrated to support all those who don’t have shoes to cover their feet.
|2022||15th March||Tuesday||United States|
|2023||15th March||Wednesday||United States|
|2024||15th March||Thursday||United States|
Why National Shoe The World Day is celebrated?
According to various principles, clothes come under the list of five things required to exist. But in a world where poverty and homelessness are one of the biggest problems having proper dresses seems like a far-fetched dream to some. Humans all over the world live in a world that would sound impossible or unimaginable to us. From walking barefoot on hard, warm rocks to walking barefoot in jungles, all of this leaves people in considerable pain, not to mention the health risk that it follows. Walking without covering your feet can lead to a lifetime of problems, including injury, cuts, infections, parasites, etc.
Therefore, in these interests, a person with the name of Donald Zsemonadi and a company based in Fontana, California United Indigenous People, inspired National Shoe the World Day in March of 2014. However, the Registrar at National Day Calendar declared the observance to be March 15th, annually.
Although having a shoe might be considered as a fashion statement by a few, it’s not so for the underprivileged. They are lucky enough to have something covering their feet, forget Nike shoes. Therefore people who are lucky enough to have a lot more than one set of shoes donate theirs so that those who don’t have them won’t have to walk with protecting their feet. There are places where it’s quite impossible to get in without proper attire, and that attire includes shoes – formal or not. Such places include schools, organizations/offices, and many more. Therefore not having shoes makes them unable to enter regardless of their talent or knowledge, for that matter.
How Can We Celebrate National Shoe The World Day?
- Donate your shoes:
You can donate your shoes to different organizations. Here are the names of three of those that work towards bettering the living conditions of every human by protecting one set of feet at a time:
- The Shoe That Grows: This organization believes in “putting kids in the best possible position to succeed.” It provides shoes with a little length for children; thereby, children with sudden growth spurts don’t outgrow them and start new ones. The Shoe That Grows is working toward producing shoes, thereby protecting the little feet of children and giving an income of livelihood to unemployed people in underdeveloped countries.
- The Show Project- Shoes are not just a dream for people in underdeveloped countries. Homelessness is really an important problem in developed countries such as the US as well. These homeless people need shoes to stave off extreme temperatures and infection and help them get back on their feet. Headquartered in Cincinnati, The Shoe Project works all around the world, breaking down education barriers and improving health, with the belief that “new footwear empowers people psychologically and economically to find a job.”
- Souls4Soles: Started as a disaster relief agency, where it used to distribute shoes to people impacted by natural events like tsunamis and hurricanes, it has grown to continue its operation over 127 countries. Under its operations, the organization welcomes shoes in all conditions. The fine shoes in condition are sent to be distributed to those needed all across the world while the old or those in bad conditions are sold as their source of income, the other being donations.
- Raise Awareness: You can also celebrate it by raising awareness of how wearing shoes is necessary for people. You can talk about how not wearing them can cause infections, injuries and why people should donate their extra set of shoes so that someone in some parts of the world does not have to walk barefoot. Use hashtags such as #souls4shoes or #Nationalshoetheworldday on your social media handles to start a campaign so that more and more people can join the cause.
Interesting facts about National Shoe the World Day:
- Ever since the National Shoe the World Day, people have started supporting a wonderful idea, but they have understood why such a move was needed and the good effect of wearing nice shoes.
- Uncovered feet are an invitation to hookworms to enter your body and cause as much havoc as humanly possible. In fact, during the 1900s, there was a hookworm epidemic in the US. Severe illness will ensue after a hookworm infection, with anemia being the biggest health concern.
- The exact history of shoes is unknown to mankind, but the oldest set of shoes discovered is sometime in 7000-8000 BC.
- It was by the Napoleonic wars that shoe manufacturing started to get mechanized by the engineer Marc Brunnel.
- Shoes help correct posture, in diabetic infections and many problems such as Bunions, Charcot foot, etc.
History of National Shoes National Shoe the World Day:
Although there is no knowledge about what made him to National Shoe, world day is celebrated because of Donald Zsemonadi’s and the people in Fontana, California. Although it was celebrated in March in 2014, the Registrar at the National Day Calendar declared the day to be on the 15th of March every year.