National Day of the Cowboy
Every year on 25th July is celebrated as the “National day of cowboy” in the United States. Get to know more about cowboys and their lifestyle on this day.
|2021||25th July||Friday||United States|
|2022||25th July||Saturday||United States|
|2023||25th July||Sunday||United States|
Why National Day of the Cowboy?
Nation day of cowboy is celebrated to appreciate the hard work and honor the history of American West. On this day, we recognize the cowboy’s culture and their colonist heritage. Everyone should try to comprehend the culture of them and participate in the Cowboy day celebration which is host by many organizations. Embark this joyful historical day with your friends and family by knowing and participating in the celebrations.
How Can We Observe National Day of the Cowboy:
There are some of the interesting things to do and observe on this Nation day of the cowboy.
Some of the code of conduct followed by cowboy and cowgirl and they are known as “ Code of West”:
- Live each day with honesty and courage.
• Take pride in your work. Always do your best.
• Stay curious. Study hard and learn all you can.
• Do what has to be done and finish what you start.
• Be tough, but fair.
• When you make a promise, keep it.
• Be clean in thought, word, deed, and dress.
• Practice tolerance and understanding of others.
• Be willing to stand up for what is right.
• Be an excellent steward of the land and its animals.
Few ways to Celebrate this day:
- Go , see a Western Museum: There are great museums like the National Cowgirl Museum, Western Heritage Museum to visit on this day.
- Visit Rodeo: Rodeo is one of the best places to celebrate and have fun on this day. It is a non-profit association that organizes the Cowboy Education day.
- Watch cowboy movie: If you intend to watch old western flicks, then definitely the best is The Treasure of Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart, High Noon with Gary Cooper, and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly with Clint Eastwood.
- And yes, of course, a cowboy dress! How can this be forgotten? A cowboy dress is a joy to celebrate this western cultural day.
- Share this western lifestyle using #NationalDayoftheCowboy on social media posts to support and embrace this day.
Few ways to celebrate this day at school:
- Horse Riding: Race can be set up in stick horses for the kids. Kids would line up to participate in the game or decorate the stick horse with fabric mane and crafts.
- Party properties: Homemade party properties like Wanted poster, Leather foot, Coal eyes, Lasso, Boot print, Dastardly, etc. Prepare anything related to Cowboy’s day and invite all for Cowboy photos collection. This will be fun for the kids to attend to the parties with a theme.
- Tossing Beanbag Boots: Arrange the boots in a table lined up perfectly. Keep the kids in some distance away from the boots. Have them toss the beanbags at the boots. Reward whoever knocks out the boots firsts.
- Cowboy Hat: Keep the hula-hoop in the ground. Make the kids stand behind the line that drawn. Toss the hat in the hula hoop whoever wins award them a prize.
- Cattle cage: Make one of the kids as Rancher and others as cattle. The Rancher should try to cage the cattle. When they begin to play, run freely but avoid the rancher who is ready to catch. If the rancher caught the cattle kid, he should go into the cage. Any other kid can go to the cage and rescue the caged cattle and free him. This continues when all the players are caught in the cage and rancher remains.
Interesting facts About National Day of the Cowboy:
- Most of the Cowboys were a part of the Civil war who freed ex-slaves. They were from both south and north, maybe a quarter of all Cowboys participated in the war.
- Cowboys do not change the clothes often. They wore their clothes for almost a week. Their clothes were made to be tough and warm to withstand the rough condition at times. They mostly wore denim which protects their legs from throne branches and wore bandana around the neck to protect their nose and mouth from the dust.
- The cowboys of 8 -10 can handle 3000 cattle all alone. In the travel, they can move for 15 miles a day but the cattle might lose weight and becomes thin.
- In 1848, there was a discovery of gold in California. So many people rushed to the west with the desire of being rich. Some found the gold while others lost everything they had. The Cowboys played a huge role in bringing the cattle to the west to form a huge herd used for gold search.
History Of National Day of the Cowboy:
From our knowledge and research, we are unable to find the Origin and creator of the National Day of the cowboy.